Mobile: Managing Documents
- Documents, Explained
- Previewing Documents
- Viewing a Document’s History (Audit Trail)
- Downloading Documents
- Deleting and Restoring Documents
- Editing Documents
- Searching for Documents
- Filtering Documents
- Sorting the Document List
Any files you upload are stored in the Documents section inside a folder with Client can view and edit access. To get there from the Home screen, tap the burger icon on the top left, then tap Documents.
All files uploaded by your accountant or tax preparer are stored in the Documents section inside a folder with Client can view access. Once you have a new firm-prepared document:
- You’ll see a notification in the menu to the right of the Documents section.
- You’ll get a push notification on your device.
- You’ll see the number of unread documents on your dashboard.
To see the documents stored inside a folder, tap the folder’s name.
The following information is available here:
- NAME: This is the name of the document; a file-type icon appears to its left. Documents that have not been viewed by you are marked NEW.
- DATE UPLOADED: This is when the document was uploaded.
- UPLOADED BY: With a folder with Client can view access, you’ll see the name of the firm member who uploaded it.
- DESCRIPTION: Descriptions are optional, so you’ll see one only if the person who uploaded the file added one.
- PENDING PAYMENT: The document is locked and awaiting your payment of the linked invoice.
- PENDING APPROVAL: You must approve this document.
- APPROVED: You have approved this document.
- DISAPPROVED: You have rejected this document.
- PENDING E-SIGNATURE. You must e-sign this document.
- SIGNED: All users have signed this document.
- DECLINED SIGNATURE: All users have declined to sign this document.
- SEALED: Your accountant has sealed the document. When a document is sealed, you cannot delete, edit, or move it.
To see the upload date and description, tap the three dots to the right of the document’s name, then select More Info.
To navigate to another folder, tap Documents, then select the folder.
You can preview files by using TaxDome’s built-in document viewer: Tap the document’s name to see it, then tap Back to return to your list of documents.
While viewing a document, you can choose to share or download it, view its audit trail, move it to another folder, and edit or delete it (some options are available only for folders with Client can view and edit access). Tap the three dots in the upper right corner to choose from these options.
If there are two or more files in the current folder, move between them by using the < and > arrows on the top right.
Note: Preview is not supported for some file types. If a preview is unavailable, download the file and view it in an external application.
Viewing a Document’s History (File Audit Trail)
You can always see what events have taken place with files uploaded by your firm. The audit log makes it easy to find out whether the document has been uploaded, viewed, downloaded, signed, renamed, approved, or rejected.
To access a document’s history, tap the three dots, then tap Audit Trail.
You can also access the Audit Trail link from the document viewer.
The following info is available here:
- USER: the first name and last name and email address of the user who accessed the file.
- EVENT: the event that took place with the file.
To access additional document history (when an event took place, the user’s time when an event took place, the IP address of the user who accessed the file, and the browser used ), use the TaxDome Web app.
You can also download files.
1. Tap the file’s name in the document list.
2. Tap the three dots on the top right, then select Download.
3. Tap Allow to give TaxDome access to photos, media, and files on your device (this needs to be done only once).
4. Select the location where files will be saved.
Deleting and Restoring Documents
When you delete a document from TaxDome, you move it to the Trash section. The file stays there for 30 days and then will be permanently deleted. Files that were deleted from a folder with Client can view and edit access by your accountant are also available in the Trash section for 30 days.
To remove a document from TaxDome:
1. Tap the three dots to the right of the document name, then tap Delete.
2. Tap DELETE in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Note: You cannot delete files uploaded by your accountant.
You can access all files that were deleted during the last 30 days by navigating to the Trash section of the Documents section (swipe left).
- Files removed from different folders are displayed in one list.
- When you delete a folder, all files from a folder are placed in the Trash section. Empty folders are immediately deleted.
To restore a document, open the document, tap the three dots to the far right of the document’s name, then select Restore in the drop-down menu.
- If a location for the restored file doesn’t exist, one is automatically created.
- A document’s Audit Trail is restored along with the file.
To edit a file, tap the three dots icon to the right of the file’s name, then select Edit. You can change the file’s name and description. Tap SAVE to keep your changes.
Note: You cannot edit files uploaded by your accountant.
Searching for Documents
To search for certain documents, type a keyword the search field, then tap enter on your keyboard. A list of folders containing documents with the keyword will be displayed. Tap the x in the search field to clear the search.
Filters are useful when you are looking for a specific type of document. For example, you want to quickly find all Microsoft Excel files uploaded in 2017.
To filter the document list:
1. Tap the FILTER button, then filter by File Type.
3. Tap APPLY FILTER.
The list will then be narrowed according to your specifications.
To clear the applied filters, tap the FILTER button, then select the Reset All link.
Sorting the Document List
Sometimes, you may want to sort a list rather than filter it. The sorting option can also be used along with the search and filtering functions to narrow the list down even more.
On your mobile device, you can sort by document name. Tap the arrow to the right of the NAME header to sort the list below it.