Mobile: Secure Messages
- Messages, Explained
- Creating Messages
- Viewing Messages
- Managing Your Tasks
- Managing Files Within Messages
- How to View Message Task History (Audit Trail)
Messages is an in-app secure communication tool that allows you to create chat threads. Here’s what to know:
- Both you and your accountant can create messages where you can ask each other questions and upload and download forms.
- Your preparer receives a notification that a question is pending and then answers it.
- All messages and attached files are stored in one place and can be reviewed at any time.
- Both you and your accountant can attach files to messages.
- When your accountant has responded to a message or uploaded a document, and you have the thread open on your device, you will instantly see it. Messages happen in real time, like texting.
- Your accountant can add tasks for you in messages. Once you’ve completed a task, either you or your accountant can check it off as completed. You have the option to view all your tasks on a separate page.
- Once everything in a message thread has been taken care of, your accountant archives it.
If you have a question for your accountant, send them message:
1. Tap the burger icon at the top left, select Messages & Tasks, then tap New Chat.
2. Write your message. Apply formatting and add bullets or numbered lists. Give the message a name (optional—and you can do this later or edit it anytime).
3. Click Create Chat. Your preparer will then receive an email informing them that they have a pending message from you.
Viewing and Replying to Messages
Once you have a new chat, you’ll see a notification in the main menu. All pending messages along with any included tasks are displayed on your dashboard. Click the notification to view and respond.
You’ll always get a push notification when your accountant sends you a message or asks you for additional information. Tap the notification to view it.
To access your messages, tap the Messages & Tasks section.
All messages are either in the Active or Archived tab. Messages inside the Active tab need attention. Once you have responded to them, your accountant archives them. Inside the Active tab, chats are sorted chronologically by the most recent response. The thread list displays information about the latest response time, author, and subject, as well as the status of client tasks for each thread. Unread threads have a green badge next to them indicating the number of unread messages.
You might find it helpful to sort your archived messages so that you can easily find something. Messages can be sorted by subject line. Tap the up-down arrows to the right of SUBJECT to sort the list below it.
Remember, you’ll always get an email notification when your accountant sends you a message or requests additional information. Click the link in the message to view and reply to it. Read the message, type a reply in the message field, then click the send icon when you’re done.
Managing Your Tasks
Your accountant might assign tasks for you inside a message thread. These will look like items on a to-do checklist. Your accountant can add tasks to a thread at any time. Once a task is completed, either you or your accountant can check it off.
You can see your tasks in your notifications on your dashboard.
You can also track your tasks from all your messages threads on a single page. The tasks that refer to one message thread always appear grouped together. You’ll see the following in the Client Tasks subtab inside the Messages & Tasks tab:
- TASKS: the task’s name.
- SUBJECT: the message’s name. Tap it to jump to the thread.
- PROGRESS: The first figure shows the number of completed tasks; the second, the total number of tasks in a message thread.
- DATE CREATED: when the message was added.
- CREATOR: who created the message.
- LAST RESPONSE: when the last response occurred and who wrote it.
Select which tasks you want to see:
- All: Both completed and incomplete tasks are displayed.
- Incomplete tasks: Messages with incomplete tasks are displayed.
- Completed tasks: Messages with completed tasks are displayed.
To search for a specific task, type a keyword in the search field, then hit enter on your keyboard. The task list is then narrowed to your specifications.
You can also filter the list to view only messages containing completed or incomplete tasks or the messages created by a specific user:
1. Tap the FILTER button.
2. Select one or two filters, then tap APPLY.
A list narrowed according to the filters applied then appears.
Managing Files Within Messages
Within a message thread, your preparer can ask you to upload documents that are needed for tax preparation (e.g., Form W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-K, 1099-SA, etc.). The maximum upload file size allowed is 200 MB.
You can upload files from your device or ones already on TaxDome.
To add files from TaxDome, navigate to the Documents tab inside a message thread, tap + ATTACH DOCUMENTS, then From TaxDome. Select the folder and tap the file name. All the files from Your Documents section are available here.
To upload files from your device:
1. Navigate to the Documents tab, Tap + ATTACH DOCUMENTS, then From My Device, then tap + ADD DOCUMENTS. Locate the files you want to upload from your device. Alternatively, tap the SCAN DOCUMENT button to take a photo of your document instead.
2. Select the folder where you want to upload the document.
3. Add an optional text description (up to 150 characters).
4. Tap UPLOAD to add the document to the message.
If you have uploaded the wrong document, you can easily remove it by clicking the trash can icon located to the right of the file name.
To view any of the files you or your accountant uploaded to your messages, click on the folder’s name to expand the file list, then click the eye icon to open the document viewer. Click Back to return to the documents screen.
You can download any file that has been uploaded to Messages & Tasks by you or your accountant.
To download a file onto your device:
1. Navigate to the Documents tab, tap the folder’s name to expand the files list, then tap the download icon.
2. Tap ALLOW to get TaxDome access to photos, media, and files on your device (you need to do this only once).
3. Select the location where files will be saved.
How to View Message Task History (Audit Trail)
You can always check on everything that has happened with a task inside a message. TaxDome’s audit log lets you find out when someone...
- ...added a task to a message.
- ...deleted a task from a message.
- ...checked of a task as completed.
To view a task’s history in a message, tap the three dots to the far right of the message’s name, then tap Task Audit Trail.
In the Audit Trail window, you’ll find the following info about a message’s history:
- USER: the first and last name and email address of any user who has made changes to the task.
- EVENT: what took place with the task.
- TASK: any changes made to the task.